This topic map assignment will be used to inform your signature assignment.
For your Signature Assignment in this course, you are going to create the research study of your dreams. While this study will only be theoretical, keep in mind that the study design will need to be realistic. You will determine a study question you would like to answer and then create a theoretical research project. Each weekly assignment will be a step in this process, leading to the final Signature Assignment due in week 8.
Find a topic that interests you and make sure it is creative and unique. Be sure your topic is not too broad; there should be context to narrow the topic, such as a specific location or timeframe that you want to study.
Try to select a topic that can be useful for the work you do or future projects you might have.
This week’s assignment is the first step:
- Start by creating a good list of topics (25+ ideas) that interest you.
- Map your list based upon similar themes.
- Write out questions about your repeated themes.
- Develop five possible research questions.
- Among the five possible questions, choose one to use for your final project. Explain the relevance of your research question and the intended goals of your project.
Your topic map should document in detail each step listed above and follow APA formatting and citation.
Your textbook may be used as a reference. The APA format for your text is as follows:
- Jacobsen, K. H. (2017). Introduction to health research methods (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Expert Solution Preview
Question: What is the purpose of the Week 1 Assignment in the medical college course?
Answer: The purpose of the Week 1 Assignment is to create a topic map that will inform the Signature Assignment of the course. The Signature Assignment is a theoretical research project that will be developed throughout the course, and the Week 1 Assignment is the first step towards its completion. The students are required to create a list of topics of interest, map them based on similar themes, develop questions about the repeated themes, and finally select one research question among five possible ones for the final project. The topic map should document each step and follow APA formatting and citation.