Jason is 11 years old and has Type 1 Diabetes. He was diagnosed with Diabetes when he was 5 years old. He is comfortable taking his “blood sugar” readings during the day. He likes to participate in sports and is on the soccer team, which practices three times a week after school. His mother always packs his lunch for school so he does not have to worry about eating the food in the cafeteria.
For this written assignment plan a day’s meal for Jason.
- Include breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
- In particular, include any snacks he may need after school to maintain a balanced diet during soccer practice.
- Also include a brief discussion about three issues/considerations regarding nutrition, diabetes, and children that nurses must be aware of.
Review the following resources on Diabetic Meal Planning.
- American Diabetes Association – Planning Meals
- Mayo Clinic – Create Your Healthy Eating Plan
- Carbohydrate Counting and Exchange Lists
You may use any of the resources found in this module or any other evidence-based sources (include those as in-text citations and references using APA Editorial Format).