In this assignment, you will be collecting data about the temperature patterns in your city. You will be calculating mean, media, mode and range. You will also be using this data to create a graph and discuss what you learned from the visual representation of data. You will complete this work in a Microsoft Excel file. If you need assistance with Excel, explore the Microsoft Excel site.
- Click here to download your assignment. This document has the questions and places for you to provide your answers.
- Complete the assignment steps outlined below tracking your answers in the assignment document.
- Make sure you submit your work in an edited MS Excel document.
Click here for the U.S. Climate Data Web site. This Web site provides climate data for every city in the United States. Select your hometown or your dream city in the United States. You will then locate the average high temperature information for the city you have chosen for each month of the year.
Steps 1-3: In your spreadsheet, identify the city and provide data for the monthly average high temperatures for all 12 months. Calculate by hand or using Excel formulas and then list the following items:
- The mean for your data
- The median for your data
- The mode for your data
- The range for your data
Step 4: Further, to visually represent the monthly temperature data for your chosen city, create 1 of the following 2 graphs in your spreadsheet:
- Line graph Or Bar graph
Step 5: Use the textbox in your spreadsheet to answer the following questions regarding your data:
- Which statistic (mean, median, or mode) do you think is the best measure of center for the temperature information for the city you chose? Why?
Step 6: Use the textbox in your spreadsheet to answer the following questions regarding your data:
- Are there any unusual data values (like outliers)?
- If so, explain how they impact the mean, median, mode, and range you found in Step 3?
- Discuss the shape of your graph (normal distribution, skewness, etc.)